April 18, 2010

sickness sucks

I can't believe it happened again. When my daughter was a few months old I got strep throat and now that my son is 4 months old I got it again!.
What an awful thing strep is. You can't swallow without it feeling like shards of glass, The fever makes your skin crawl and your head pound, not to mention that pain in any form is exploded exponentially.

The trip to the hospital was very very long, although I was really only there for 2 hours, my Tylenol had warn off and I was shaky and achy. The Doctor comes in and said, so you diagnosed your self it's definitely strep. If it looks like a duck, quacks like a duck, it's probably a duck.
He didn't seem pleased with my fevered attempt at humor and handed me the prescription.
What they don't tell you is that even if you start your antibiotics right away it still takes 48 to 72 hours for the symptoms to START going away :( and seriously, how the hell do they expect you to swallow a pill when it hurts like hell just to swallow a smidgen of water!

Tylenol every 4 hours (two gigantic tablets!!) one sticky antibiotic every 6 hours, gargle (if you can) with salt water or Listerine. Quite the regime for someone who can't remember the last time she swallowed and doesn't really want to be reminded.

oh.. and did I mention the phlegm
the thick phlegm my body keeps producing against my orders, the phlegm that caused me to gag and puke.. yes I said puke... you thought swallowing with strep was bad, try that one.
24 hrs later that pesky phlegm keeps blocking my windpipe and making me panic that I can't breath.. the noises I make were guttural and primitive but got the job done.

I'm going back to bed

No comments:

Post a Comment